Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Trust the professionals...

So when you go to the doctor, after his diagonsis, do you ask the nurse, the receptionist, the other patients in the waiting room, what they think? Of course not! You may get a second opinion, but you would seek out another professional not people whom have no earthly idea and frankly don't care.

I once had a client, and I am not making this up, that hired me to select their lighting, paint colors, hardware, granite, furniture etc. When it came time to test the main paint color, I showed up on the job site to see the two choices I/we had narrowed it down to. When I got there, to my surprise, there were honestly 9 colors on the wall...non of which I had selected. To add insult to injury, the builders assistant (who btw could care less and just did it to appease the clients) selected the colors. When the homeowners showed up, they proceeded to look at each of the colors and ask what was wrong with every single one of them. That led to a brief explanation of each ...i.e. one was flesh tone and they said they HATED flesh tones, one was green and the wife hated green, 3 of them didn't match the floors at all and the rest didn't match any of the fabrics we had painfully selected to go throughout the home. However, even after this, they proceeded to ask everyone, the painter, the builder, the builders assisitant, the builders assistant's assistant, Rico the drywall guy, the electrician, the landscaper etc...you get the picture. They finally painted the walls teh one I had selected and loved it. I could have taken all of this personally but the builder told me in confidence that this was the way it had been with every single painstaking decision.

The moral of this story is if you hire a professional, you have to trust them to do their job or hire someone you do trust so everyone's time, energy and money are not wasted, including yours! (Did I mention they paid me by the hour, so the only thing that was lost was my pride!)

No comments:

Post a Comment